Everyone needs to take some downtime – even Superman couldn’t save the world without having an occasional break – and spending time relaxing is important for good mental health.
Relaxation and taking time to recharge your batteries is the key to having a positive mental wellbeing. After all, how can you be expected to make good choices and move forward in life if you’re always stressed?
Here are our top ways to relax to give you some ideas:
- Pause throughout the day – take a few minutes at intervals during the day to stop what you’re doing, take a few deep breaths, and allow your mind to calm down.
- Stretch regularly – when you’re taking a break it’s important to stretch your muscles and allow your shoulders to relax.
- Take up a hobby – whether you want to be more active in your spare time or you’d like to make new friends there are all sorts of hobbies you could start.
- Get outdoors – walking gets you out in the fresh air, improves your overall fitness, and releases endorphins (“feel good” chemicals) into your body, what’s not to love?
- Yoga – doing yoga, Pilates, or tai chi can help you focus your mind, relax, and teach you calming breathing techniques.
- Have a bath – a warm bath can make all the difference when you’re feeling stressed. Put your phone down and try some aromatherapy oils or your favourite bubble bath.
- Read a book/magazine – take your mind off whatever is concerning you by immersing yourself in your favourite book or magazine.
- Watch a film/TV programme – just like reading, watching something you enjoy is the ideal way to switch off from your problems.
- Meet friends – even if it’s just for a coffee or for a chat meeting a mate will distract you and help you think more clearly when you return to whatever is troubling you.